Monday, September 18, 2006

New KISS Tour? Probably; Album? Unlikely


The KISS Army may be able to pack its gear for a tour in the near future, but not an album. The group's PAUL STANLEY, preparing for the Oct. 24 release of his solo album "Live To Win" and an attendant tour, tells Billboard.com he's "sure there will be a [Kiss] tour at some point."

He even confirms that one of the ideas being discussed is a traveling version of the orchestral shows KISS played in 2003 in Australia, which resulted in the "Kiss Symphony" CD and DVD releases.

"It's not out of the realm of possibility," says Stanley, who welcomed his second son, Colin, with wife Erin on Sept. 6. "Anything's possible, but we're far away from conforming or committing to something like that. I'll let you know when it's true."

New KISS music is another matter, however. Stanley says as far as he's concerned, trying to make a new album in the shadow of Kiss' classic repertoire is, at the very least, a challenge. "The fact is, [fans] may tolerate the new songs, but it's the old ones you want to hear," he notes. "I think Jimmy Page and Robert Plant found that out. The [Rolling] Stones certainly know it. The Who certainly know it. So unless you're willing to go into the studio accepting that how your album will be received will never match your expectations, I'm not sure it's worth the effort."

What would it take to change his mind? Control, Stanley says. "I would consider doing it if I could do it the way I wanted to do it," he explains. "If 'Live to Win' was good for anything, it was me confirming how I believe I'd like music to sound that I'm a part of. To do another KISS album, I would not be willing to compromise my point of view perhaps as much as I have in recent years."

But how would that go over with longtime KISS partner GENE SIMMONS? "Well, y'know, you'll have to see if we go into the studio," replies Stanley -- who says he's not yet watched an episode of Simmons' new A&E reality show, "GENE SIMMONS Family Jewels."

Stanley takes a break from diaper duty to begin a 15-date solo tour on Oct. 21 in Atlanta.

3 comments:

JPX said...

"What would it take to change his mind? Control, Stanley says. "I would consider doing it if I could do it the way I wanted to do it,"

What's he saying here? I always assume that he's in complete control of KISS. Gene doesn't give a shit.

Johnny Sweatpants said...

I always thought that Paul and Gene never argued about anything. Very interesting indeed.

JPX said...

Gene: "Paul, we need to discuss your clothes and hats..."